Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thursday, December 6, 2012

He'll begin his life again


(Continued)


Enrique was furious, and instantly blamed thieving truckers, which made sense as most of the traffic was lorries, but by this point we had a natural affinity to truckers as we got more lifts with them than anyone else.

I was a bit stupified, and could only laugh as I thought of the absurdity of losing all my things two weeks into a long trip out, and couldn't help but think of all the nice things I liked which were now gone.

I have to say sorry now to people who gave me things which got lost due to my hazardous lifestyle:

Mum - I never brought the hammock you bought me for Christmas, but I did bring the tarp which it came with. It had already saved us from a thorough soaking on a good few occasions, allowing for comfy sleep and all-round peace-of-mind. I'm sure a trucker is wearing it for a poncho in more of the relentless storms it sheltered us through. Thanks, I will replace it and find you some alpaca-wool gloves here once I get further north to alpaca-land.


Dad - Your gorillapod is gone, but I'm hoping it's now a great conversation-starter as a piece of modern art on an Argentine mantelpiece which a truckers' wife proudly claims their husband bought her for their anniversary. Thanks so much for lending it me anyway.


Kai - The hip flask is nestled in a truckers' cab most likely, and a knife-weilding King-Of-The-Road is now enjoying the mature (read: old) rum inside which could lead to any number of beautiful stories. Your inscription on it is still in my mind as fresh as the day you etched it though. Thanks always.

Jess and Vicky - The variety of funny tat which you furnished me with is probably making lots of truckie children very happy, and will be in better hands now. Thanks for the laughs.

Mat - The buff/headover I'm sure will be helping abate the one-armed tan(burn) of an Argentine trucker at this very moment driving through La Pampa in the desert sun. I'm imagining the hat/bucket is now a change pot on the dashboard for toll booth coins, but you never know, it could be something exciting like a hooch-smuggling-pouch. I still have the leather treatment, and as soon as I get an epic retro jacket it will be lovingly caressed. Thanks for them all, anyway.

Alan - The multi-tool is now an essential part of a truck on this fair continent and has probably already been used to pull off shredded tyres, short out electrics and threaten truckers in service-station confrontations. It was great and I did get some use out of it before it was gone. Thanks for the thought.

Well, that was emotional!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that was lovely, and sad all at once. I love the fact that everyone else gave you proper presents with a great use, and me and Vicky gave you the stupidest stuff we could find! xxx

    ReplyDelete