Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"Did I ever tell you I love your face?"

We're looking across over the west of Santiago, from the top of Cerro San Cristobal as the sun is disappearing over the mountains on the city's edge, and the burnt orange sky stains everything.

We're tired, but it was worth it. I have learnt by now not to try and keep up with O'car on a mountain bike, which Daniel did. Luckily Sara went up at a good pace which I could manage, and we scaled the hill from the front side, which I hadn't done before.

Back on the top it's dark and the lights of the city transformed it, exposing the contrast of the natural surroundings and the huge metropolis.

We came down the back side, the big moon above us framed between the trees on either side of the road is our only light as usual. Following Sara as fast as I dared down the winding road I howled as loud as I could at the bright moon. Fitting as it was my last night in Santiago, before becoming a lone wolf after so long in such a close pack.

Before long we're cycling through the same suspended walkways from my first story about Santiago on this blog, and my time here has come full circle. As we pass a park on the way into town there's a small group of mountain bikers at the top of a steep track, obviously deciding who's to go first, and psyching each other up to do it.

O'car and Sara casually turn across in front of them, already carrying a lot of speed and make it look like child's play. Daniel and I can't help but laugh as we ride past them, noticing each of their bikes is worth more than all of ours put together.

I'm feeling nostalgic, and decide to serenade the city as we're cutting between the throng of queueing cars through town. Frank Sinatra is on my mental jukebox and it's a song I can really belt out - my volume is on maximum and I'm attracting some interesting looks from the car drivers.

Santiago's lullaby is cut short as a car cuts me off and i skid to a halt, before giving the inevitable "A-WEON-AO!" to the driver, who thankfully didn't take enough offense to try and hurt me. I was a bit behind and missed one set of lights the others made it through, suddenly realising I only had a vague idea of where I was, and could have a hard time getting back without them.

Luckily Sara was as considerate as ever and noticing I was behind was waiting for me in the busy traffic. Us two ended up at the German bar before O'car and Daniel, who noticed we weren't with them after a while and were trying to find us.

Soon enough Cami joined us and we were five, with as many giant litre steins bigger than our heads waiting to be drunk. Well, we drank those and more and had a great time, but I had to be careful to be sober enough to finally leave the next day.

On the way home we stopped as Daniel turned off to go home. I tried my best to tell everyone there how much their openness, friendship and kindness over the last weeks meant to me. Either that or I was half-drunkenly shouting that I loved their faces. Either way I hope I went a little way to expressing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment